- Azerbaijani officials say they have broken through an Armenian barricade in Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Armenia has denied having forces in the area.
- According to Ethnic Armenians, two people were killed and 23 were injured in the conflict.
Armenia on Tuesday denied having any forces in the area.
Armenian police stand guard as people hold signs during a protest against Azerbaijan’s military actions outside the government building in central Yerevan, Armenia. Source: EPA / Narek Aleksanyan
However, many Armenians have in the past volunteered to fight for Nagorno-Karabakh.
Hajiyev said Azerbaijan would only be ready to talk to the Karabakh Armenians once they had surrendered and disarmed.
Why has Azerbaijan attacked the area
“The intention of Azerbaijan is to close a chapter of animosity and confrontation,” he said.
He said Azerbaijan believed that what he called its anti-terrorism action would achieve its strategic goal of ensuring full sovereignty over its territory.
Concerns of a full-scale war
The reports raised concerns that a full-scale war over the region could resume between Azerbaijan and Armenia, which fought heavily for six weeks in 2020.
Although Azerbaijan said the operation was limited to military targets, the defence ministry said that “humanitarian corridors” had been created to allow people to leave “the danger zone”.